[ANN][IMPORTANT] New leadership formed!

Russell Penney russell.penney at tincanct.com
Thu Feb 17 13:03:41 UTC 2005

Goran,
   I think you are being more than a little flippant and not looking at the
issues raised. Read through your answers below and see how many of them are
"I don’t see it, so it doesn't exist" type of answers.
I am sorry you can't see the contradictions; I thought they were blindly
obvious.

As for the "in" crowd, are you serious that you don't know what I am talking
about? Just ask yourself this, if I and at least 4-5 others have mentioned
it, maybe you should stop and think about WHY we are saying it. What is that
we see that you don’t? Your answers have been "I don’t see it, so I can't
understand why you are saying it". To blindly dismiss the concerns of others
is not a great start.

It is obvious that there are people who, if there are 2 opposing sides to a
solution, are MUCH more successful at getting their modifications included
into Squeak than others. Partly due to just doing it, partly because they
are "trusted" by others who have a lot of influence, partly because they
have been around long enough to know how to work the system. BTW none of
these things are necessarily a bad thing, it is realistically how the world
works, and I am just amazed that you can't see it.

Not everyone is gun programmer or whiz at debugging code. That does not mean
that "users" cannot come up with useful suggestions. However I think that
there are more than a few "old hands" who are very dismissive of suggestions
from anyone who has not "proved" themselves to their satisfaction. I think
that is wasting talent that Squeak can't afford to lose. Where are the
people who said they were happy to mentor? I realise that people are happy
to help on this list, but that seems to be for smaller things, particular
bugs etc not architecturally.

I think I sent you down the wrong path with the goals or feature list. I
don’t think that is the problem per se. You write "Getting processes in
place is one of our challenges. But given our existence we might actually
get it done." I would have to say "might" is not good enough, if you don't I
think you will have failed.
Who cares what the next release brings? (well, I know I and everyone else
does but that’s not the point :)
What matters is that there is a well defined process to make that decision,
to verify that things work, to announce releases, to be able to report and
fix bugs, to upgrade software with a reasonable chance of success, etc. Oh
and a process to get people, who want to help, started! I think you forget
what a daunting prospect this can be.
Concentrate on the processes and the results will speak for themselves.

I am NOT, repeat NOT, against your approach. I think it was badly executed
and badly written but that is water under the bridge. Go for it, I will be
hoping that you succeed. I do reserve the right to constructively criticise
and I think you need to pay a bit more attention to the constructive
criticism on the list. Just you can't see something, doesn't mean it doesn't
exist.