Squeak on Palm Zire?

Neil Rhodes neil at pobox.com
Sat Feb 19 04:24:07 UTC 2005

On Feb 18, 2005, at 7:29 AM, Brian Brown wrote:

> So does Palm OS 5 still enforce these types of memory limits and
> segregation now that the high end models are running on XScale
> processors? I had *hoped* that they would take advantage of some of
> the potential of the new hardware platform, but I realize that they
> would have issues with backward compatibility if they did that,
> although they could probably do some emulation.

Even though Palm OS 5 runs on ARM processors, it still has the same
memory limitations as the 68K-based earlier implementations. Cobalt (OS
6) radically changes the memory model, making the segmentation not an
issue.  The dynamic memory allocation needed in Cobalt will be quite
similar to that in OS 5 (although it'll just be a call to malloc to get
a memory chunk large enough to hold the image rather than MemChunkNew).

Neil
--
Neil Rhodes