Improving Squeak's Mutlimedia

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sun Feb 20 18:45:03 UTC 2005

Martin Kuball <MartinKuball at web.de> wrote:

> were possible at all. And I think the speed of a codec is very
> important. Every cpu cycle counts.
>
> I would like to have small Class for each codec that uses the
> FFIPlugin as interface to the external library.
Two conflicting requirements there; FFI is not a particularly fast way
to access a plugin. If every cycle counts, a custom plugin Slang
section is the way to go. By all means do the initial experiments via
FFI but if you want the fastest prim access, sling dat Slang.

By the way, in the latest VMs the address of the external prim is
cached in the method lookup table. Once they are in the cache they
should be exactly as fast to get to as normal prims.

tim
Any program that runs right is obsolete.