[ANN] Slate Release 0.3.2

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Wed Feb 23 05:58:57 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I haven't been able to follow the latest events here in detail, but
it's obvious that good plans are finally afoot, and even though I'm
announcing for a parallel/branch project, I still support these things
and wish you guys luck. :)

That said, the Slate project has made a new release, with some notable
improvements; here's an overview:

A new inheritance system (mostly transparent) which allows greater
control over inheritance precedence to avoid nasty multiple inheritance
bugs (this is a big planned step towards semantics compatibility with
the SCP Traits system, and mostly transparent).
Cross-platform socket support (design based on Craig's Flow, and
extended to handle asynchronous access, although that still needs
improvement).
UTF-16 support added, along with Symbol/intern:ing support, but Unicode
support is not yet fully integrated into the core.
External library access was filled out, allowing greater ease of
dynamic binding to available legacy libraries (for just about any
relevant C type).
ncurses and Windows console support were added, along with a "smart
editing" REPL which supports command history and live editing.
Functional programming support (without "higher-order method" hackery)
and more method query protocols.
Syntax extension: `() now acts to quote the expression enclosed.
As usual, many bug fixes and smaller feature enhancements are included.

The instructions for usage in README have been updated, so please
review them. Detailed changes are listed in NEWS.

--
Brian T. Rice
LOGOS Research and Development