p2p monticello - any takers?

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Thu Feb 24 07:10:32 UTC 2005

Hi Brent!

Brent Vukmer <brent.vukmer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Cees, very cool idea.
>
> I'm interested in something a bit more modest - using your p2p network
> to broadcast Monticello notifications.  By "notifications", I just
> mean that after posting a .mcz file to a repository, the Monticello
> instance would send out the URL for that file out to all the nodes.

I think you should be more general and go for my idea I posted about way
back about "developer events". So we define a few different "developer
event types" that people can emit, and you of course decide yourself
which event types you want to emit.

And you also define what kind of events you want to subscribe to - this
Monticello release event type being one kind.

Such a system will open up endless cool things. Like "someone modified
my class" event, or "someone just installed my package from SM" event,
etc. Then we can start modifying our tools with visual real time
feedback etc.

regards, Göran