To Traits Or Not To Traits (Was: Re: Stefs roadmap for 3.9, time to get it nailed down)

Steven Swerling sswerling at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 24 21:08:43 UTC 2005

Here are a few links:

General Overview:
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/%7Escg/Research/Traits/index.html
(links to some key papers on traits)

Overview of Squeak Implementation:
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~schaerli/smalltalk/traits/traitsPrototype.htm
(includes very helpful screenshots of traits in action)

SqueakMap:
http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/sm/package/0aa65fd8-aabb-4e46-9000-626361ddc65a

You look at this stuff and have to wonder of Traits might not be a nice
arrow to have in the quiver for modularizing the image.

It would be great to get a rough, pseudo coded example from a Traits
proponent on what a Traits-based solution might look like for making
Networking in Squeak cleaner and more modular (too choose an arbitrary
example). Let's say there were 3 competing networking frameworks, call
them "StandardNetworking", "RefactoredNetworking", and "Flow". How might
a Traits-based solution look for making the competing frameworks
pluggable? If, say, FileList2 decided to make the switch from
"StandardNetworking" to "Flow", would Traits help?

It might persuade some more people to promote Traits on "The big
priority list in the sky" if it looks like it would help with some of
the other big priorities.

At any rate, it's easy to see how Traits might provoke some strong
feelings.