Modules

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Fri Feb 25 09:40:39 UTC 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:39:25 +0100, <goran.krampe at bluefish.se> wrote:

> "Rougly" yes, but... if this leads to a single "part" (the whole Basic
> image) then there is no point, is there? :)

Well, yes there is. Because maybe if you're going to deploy them all at
once, it's still good to partition it.

Let's (yawn) look at Debian again. There is a distinct kernel of packages
in Debian that all must be loaded together - there's a bootstrap script to
do that so you can build a new system on a mounted disk from scratch.
These packages are heavily intertwined and interdependent. Nothing's gonna
tick without the C run-time-library, for starters.

So releasing them separately is nonsense.

However, the unstable/testing/stable separations lets developers put their
own new versions of their own kernel packages into unstable, play and
experiment, quite independently. Sure, things will be messed up at times,
but that's why it's called unstable, remember? Then, when some new
constellation works, these package versions are most likely to be moved as
a whole 'configuration map' into testing, which gets a new core. Bang!.
When these versions have proven themselves as being cooperable with all
the other stuff, it's time to announce stable old, testing stable, and
open a new testing area. At least, that's how I understood it ;).

So being able to maintain them independently is not nonsensical at all.