Modules

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Fri Feb 25 13:22:03 UTC 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 01:27:55 -0500, Colin Putney <cputney at wiresong.ca>
wrote:

> Absolutely, although I think with very fine-grained version history,
> spurious conflicts aren't really a problem. I've never used Envy, but I
> understand that it doesn't do merges well. Florin, is that true in your
> experience? We put a lot of effort into Monticello's merge
> capabilities, and they're generally pretty good. MC2 should be an
> improvement.

Envy doesn't handle merging very well. It is good at detecting conflicts,
but you have to go and make new versions of classes, load the approriate
method editions, and then re-version to accomplish a merge. The Store merge
tool is enormously more useful and faster to use. I haven't played with the
Monticello merge tool yet, as my Squeak projects tend to be
single-developer efforts.

Later,
Jon