the meaning of it all
vasseo01 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 14:37:31 UTC 2005
I was thinking of the meaning of life, the universe
and everything, when suddenly
er , well, not really. I was actually working on the
French translation for Squeak. Most of it has been
done for some time, but there were some 300 phrases
left to translate. I did most of it, but I cant grasp
the meaning of a handful of phrases. The language
editor has been useful to trace phrases in methods and
find out what they were about ( « peaks » is the name
of a sound, « measure lines » belongs to the
vocabulary of musical notation, and so on).
But for some phrases Im still stuck. I like playing
around with Squeak, but Im not a professional
programmer, not even a good amateur (Im a
translator, actually) so I guess some of my questions
will seem quite naive. I need to know what the
following phrases refer to before translating them (I
give the class and method when I have them):
* Many many thanks to Yoshiki for the language
some phrases from the editor interface
are not translated (they do not appear in the list of
phrases to translate): « there are no methods with the
string »,« there are no match for »
* what does « Flex » refers to ?
* what is « add pin »? :FunctionComponent
* what is « vertical pan » ? anything to do with
vertical cooking ? :) (GradientFillMorph
* « passing color » and « blocking colour»
(ScreeningMorph addCustomMenuItems:hand: )
* « end clip here » what is a clip in this context?
* « get sound from lib » ( EnvelopeEditorMorph
addCustomMenuItems:hand: ) Does lib stand for
'library' (and if it does, what is this sound
* « World scale and clip
»seems to be a menu, but I
cant find where it is and what it does.
* « start keyboard navigation with this thread »
(InternalThreadNavigationMorph moreCommands ) What is
a « thread » in this context ?
* « die » I just have this single world in the
language editor with no references
Any idea about
what it can mean in Squeak ?
* same problem with « diffuse » and « ton »
And finally, a few remarks on the castaways :
- Vernes balloon DID eventually crash
so maybe we
should forget the metaphor after all.
- the castaways discover that the island is secretly
ruled by Captain Nemo
Does this mean theres a secret
Squeak ruler ? :)
-people who quote a French author cannot be completely
- the whole thing is quite exciting, since Ive never
been able to understand so many messages in the list
usually, 2 posts out of 3 are too technical for me :)
vive Squeak !
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Sports - Sign up for Fantasy Baseball.
More information about the Squeak-dev