Retiring BFAV

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Fri Feb 25 20:35:38 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 11:56 -0800, Tim Rowledge wrote:
> Ken, if you want to retire BFAV then that is of course your right. It is
> certainly a pain to have two not-very-well integrated systems in use
> for users and maintainers.

Thanks, but that might be putting it a little too strongly.  I'm only
one of several developers of BFAV and it could be argued that I only
developed a small part of it, so that doesn't really give me much more
right than everyone else has.

> HOwever, I think you could do us all a very big favour by trying to
> make a new BFAV tool that talks to the Mantis DB. Personally I find
> that stupid, cumbersome, irritating web UI to be stupid, cumbersome and
> irritating. Even if it is only possible to make the original reporting
> of a bug as easy _from within Squeak_ as BFAV made it then life would
> be much nicer.
>
> Just my 10c worth ( hey, I'm important so I get more than 2c ;-) )

Hey, I'll be happy to give you 10c.  But I think you've got it a bit
backwards here.  I for one have spent time in the past writing tools to
support 'future' policies only to have the policy never come into effect
and for my tool to go completely unused.  I'm not up for that.  A tool
would be useful, I don't deny it.  However the Mantis web access without
any other tool is perfectly useable if not ideal.  As I mentioned in
that email if we agree to move exclusively to the Mantis database I'm
quite happy to help out with a tool (or tools) and I know others that
are also interested in working on this.  But we aren't going to do so
before the commitment to using the existing tool is made.

Ken