SystemChangeNotification and Packages

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 21:57:48 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:27:33 +0100, Alexandre Bergel
<bergel at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I was wondering what is the impact of adding packages on the system change notification mechanism. I added some events for creating a new package, renaming one, deleting move, moving one method from one packate to another, ...
>
> What about adding a new repository to a package? What about saving a package?

That's an interesting question, and I guess is really a more general
one: is the SystemChangeNotification a central registry that any addon
package for Squeak could/should add new event types to?  For example,
a NewConnectorsDrawingEvent, or a SeasideApplicationCreated event, and
so on.

My general feeling is that we don't need this - the main strength of
SCN is maybe not so much in the architecture for sending and
registering events, but in all the hooks that have been put into the
system for sending the events at the right time, and in the particular
events hierarchy that's been designed for code changes.  For unrelated
events (and I think package/repository changes are arguably unrelated
to the current SCN events), the basic #when:send:to: etc events should
be enough, no?

Avi