p2p monticello - any takers?

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Mon Feb 28 12:14:32 UTC 2005

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:03:07 +0000, Tony Garnock-Jones <tonyg at lshift.net>
wrote:

> Okay. I'll have to do a bit of digging to find out how messages are
> routed to the two hits - 30 seconds seems like a loooooong time, so I
> guess I need to learn more about how the p2p network works to understand
> why 30 seconds isn't practically infinity.

It is. If the thing works, I found it much faster than SqueakSource in
responsiveness and comparable to an average remote repository.

> In fact I'll, just as an experiment, try setting it to 300 seconds and
> see what happens.

Nothing. I think the nodes that claimed to have the file you wanted simply
weren't available. That's why network size matters here. And stable code,
of course ;)

> Agreed :) How does bittorrent do its thing, I wonder? I did read the
> protocol description once many moons ago but it didn't stick, clearly...

Bittorrent asks lots of peers for blocks, I think. With direct
connections, there's no peer-to-peer routing of payload as far as I'm
aware. Gnutella does p2p routing of "metadata" (searches and responses),
but not of data - actual files are transported out-of-band with direct
HTTP-ish connections. Something I'd like to postpone as long as possible
;) (I think for large files, say >>100k, things should be splitup in
blocks and one could retrieve individual blocks).

Anyway, I think that the mod where you ask for a 'file handle' or
'transfer handle' to a peer first is probably the most sensible thing to
change on the current implementation.