Input requested on approach to better graphics model

Michael Latta lattam at mac.com
Fri Jan 7 03:47:07 UTC 2005

I have been playing with Balloon for several days and encountered
several issues.  I would like input on how to proceed.

1) The 3.7 image I am working from does not support transformed text.
If you try using a TransformMorph that encloses text it does not draw.
2) The TTCFont only deals with integral pixel glyphs.  While this makes
sense since it caches forms for each glyph, it means that smooth
scaling of text is not possible.

I would like to see a system that has fractional text metrics.  It
looks like this can be done with a different font class using the same
TT descriptors as TTCFont.  I presume I should work with my own font
class as there is likely to be a performance issue relative to the
cached fonts currently in use, at least for a while.  Handling of the
scaling of text requires changes to the canvas class.  Should I create
a subclass of BalloonCanvas?  This seems the safest approach, but means
that this feature will not be available in places where a BalloonCanvas
is currently used.  Since no one has missed this feature so far, I
guess this is not an issue for anyone.  It is not clear if the plug-in
can handle glyphs that start at fractional positions, I am hoping this
is not an issue, only time will tell.

Let me know what you think.  If I do all my work in subclasses then of
course I can package it more easily.  But, then things get bigger when
the package is loaded.

Michael