what happened to alternativeBrowseIt in 3.9?

Chris Muller afunkyobject at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 10 19:16:52 UTC 2005

I just noticed that alternativeBrowseIt no longer works for opening a Hierarchy
browser instead of a package browser.  So we just have the two browsers that
are 99% the same (e.g., 1) showing the package-category in a separate pane or
2) simply following a dash "-" in the first pane), and alternativeBrowseIt
appears to provide no alternative.

I traced the cause to be the change made to ParagraphEditor>>browseClassFromIt
by hpt on 10/2/2004.

I understand the intent is to make the system use the new SystemBrowser
registry, which I think is great, but can we figure a solution that respects
those who prefer the Hierarchy browser?  All the various browser frameworks;
standard, Refactoring and Omni all have Hierarchy browsers now don't they?  I
don't know whether we need "SystemBrowser hierarchy new" or "HierarchyBrowser
default new" or something else.  I'm not expert in these browser domains,
thanks..