what happened to alternativeBrowseIt in 3.9?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jan 12 19:39:10 UTC 2005

Whatever happens, please rename it from "alternativeBrowseIt" to
something that actually reflects what it does.  alternativeBrowseIt is a
great name for experimenting--after all, maybe the person didn't even
know what the specific behavior would be!--but over time, it should be
replaced by something specific.

If it is supposed to be for browsing hierarchies, how about
#browseItShowsHierarchy?

Actually implementing this preference thoroughly sounds like a decent
amount of work, but I would vote that that's the way we go.
Alternatively, I'd personally be fine if the preference disappeared
completely, but I guess some people other than me are probably using it
and would not be pleased.  :)

To make things more fun, there is not a hierarchy browser for Chuck at
all (unless there is some weird RefactoringBrowser invocation that will
make it happen.)  So there should be a way to fall back to a normal
browser even if the preference is turned on.

(Incidentally, I don't plan to add a Chuck hierarchy browser.  Instead,
I plan to switch to the "Services" package, and get rid of the Chuck
browser entirely.  Using Services would mean that every browser supports
Chuck-based type inferences.)

Kudos to the people working to sort out this mess.  It's great to see
old ideas in Squeak getting neatened up!

-Lex