Why are we updating external packages using the update stream?

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Thu Jan 13 08:19:51 UTC 2005

Hi all!

"Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> It would seem nice to have a separate command in the change sorter for
> "file out per package".  This would generate a separate CS file for each
> package that is modified by the changeset, containing only the changes
> relevant to that package.  If you file out MyChanges, you'd get files
> like:
>
> 	MyChanges.15.cs    "changes to system"
> 	MyChanges--SM-Base.15.cs   "changes to SM-Base package"
> 	MyChanges--Morphic-Games.15.cs  "changes to Morphic-Games package"
>
> Also, harvesters can help themselves already in a low tech fashion.  If
> you load a changeset, you can also open a Monticello browser and see
> which packages have a * beside them.  There shouldn't be any.

Yeah, I am currently trying to finalize my "mail to maintainers"
addition to ChangeSorter - it doesn't do exactly that - but involves the
same code. When I get it working I could adapt it to something like the
above.

Right now I am digging into
PackageInfo/PackageOrganizer/ChangeSet/ClassChangeRecord and friends.
Phew.

> Anyway, nobody is going to be perfect, but that's okay: mistakes can
> always be fixed with yet another update.  :)  Let's please not be hard
> on in-image packages.  They are not weird -- they are they way we
> *should* be doing most things.

> In fact, as has been mentioned, it would
> be a very good thing if more people worked in full images, so that they
> can see what they are breaking.

This last part is often a mirage. The Full image doesn't contain the
circa 500 packages that can "break".

> -Lex

regards, Göran