OmniBrowser minor request

John Pierce john.raymond.pierce at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 11:08:19 UTC 2005

Hi Colin,

> I'm glad you're using OmniBrowser enough to get annoyed by it!

Annoyed sometimes, yes, but I do like OmniBrowser and we've found it
helpful in our applications to have an extensible browser control --
so thank you!

I hope you don't mind me making a few usability requests like I've
recently done -- my intentions are only to see the browser go from
better to best!

> To see the "subclass of Object" template, just click on a system category.

Actually, I'm pretty cool with that. I didn't know it was that easy.

> To me that's just weird, and I never got used to it in the
> default browser.

Weird yes, but I got used to it (dang it!).  I will see if my habits
can be altered because I agree with you in principle.

> > Also, if the list of methods of the class would show all methods
> > without having to click a protocol -- that
> > would be fantastic.
>
> Yes, I've been meaning to do this for some time. The trick is to allow
> these kind of interface tweaks without destroying the generality of the
> browser framework.

If you think of the browser as a purely hierarchical navigation
control, then it does seem to break the generality -- although this is
an extremely useful feature.

The thing about the fourth pane (the method pane) is that it *can* be
populated when the 2nd pane is selected (the class pane).  It's like
the third pane (the protocol pane) is just there to act as a filter to
the fourth pane.  I wonder if thinking about "some panes being
filters" can open some possible ways to solve the problem generally
and to remain happy with the design.  I'll think about it more as I'm
sure you will.

Regards,

John
--
Only the mediocre are always at their best. -- Jean Giraudoux