MacOSX Performance

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Fri Jan 21 14:54:51 UTC 2005

Am 21.01.2005 um 14:34 schrieb Stéphane Conversy:

> Hello,
>
> I attended a demonstration by Stéphane Ducasse, and I was really
> impressed by squeak. I
> tried it on my PowerBook G4 1.25Ghz 1Go RAM, and I was less impressed
> by its
> performance ;-). However, it runs quite smoothly on my officemate's pc
> (winxp, athlon xp
> 2Ghz, 512Mo).
>
> Since
> - my machine is not _that_ slow,
> - the vm is the same for all machines,
> - there is not jit,
>
> I guess the problem comes from the display engine.
>
> First, is my guess right ?

Don't know, works fine for me (Ti book, even less RAM). You might try
changing your display depth, make sure Squeak's depth matches your
desktop's (in Squeak, world menu - appearance - display depth, in OS X
the monitor settings in the Control Panel), and try both 16 and 32
bits.

What slowness are you seeing in particular?

> Second, I had a quick glance to the code, I saw a X11drv or something,
> I guess it benefits
> from hardware bitblt and the like, is it the same for macosx ? or is
> it done entirely in
> software ?

Everything except for 3D rendering is software.

- Bert -