Time to think about parallel Smalltalk stuff

Mark Miller markm at caplet.com
Mon Jan 24 21:09:49 UTC 2005

[cross posted]

Brian Rice wrote:
> While E has a narrow focus on security, the concurrency model may be
> taken without the security/crypto design implications that go with it.

I see it as a "primary" focus rather than a narrow one, but perhaps this is a
matter of taste. In any case, I agree that E's concurrency model is of value
independent of E's security model. And thanks.

> In my case, I am working with such an option for Slate as a concurrent
> language extension, and eventually cryptographic security can be added
> as an optional transport layer.

So, are you interested in building something secure or not? I'm confused.

> I also want to focus on Erlang-style
> signalling between processes, which goes a step further than broken
> promise resolution in E.

Sounds like a promising approach. I like Erlang. As you develop this, I'd like
to hear more about it, and I'm sure other e-lang'ers would too. Thanks.

> Of course, the E fellows aren't directly helpful with this kind of
> effort, simply because their whole focus is security and their example
> of E. It's difficult to bring up an issue with them and not get just
> the security slant, so I've had to work it out myself.

 From web searching

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=Brian+Rice&num=50&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=eros-os.org&safe=off

the only messages I could find that you've posted to e-lang are
http://www.eros-os.org/pipermail/e-lang/2004-August/010007.html
and
http://www.eros-os.org/pipermail/e-lang/2004-July/009938.html

Could you please point us at the message where you asked about concurrency,
and we were unhelpful in our responses? I would appreciate it if you'd give
the e-lang community another chance before writing us off as unhelpful. If you
are indeed interested in concurrency without security, please make that clear,
and perhaps you'll find us more helpful. Thanks.

> Also, from what I understand from following the Croquet and E projects,
> it seems that the interest from Croqueteers towards E has not seen a
> real follow-through, at least from the E perspective, so don't count on
> them to deliver a full solution to the integration issues. It's a tough
> task and requires a lot of focus.

I agree, though I'm still hopeful that the Croquet project might yet decide to
take security seriously before it's too late. But if you're not interested in
security, what problems with Croquet are you referring to?

     Cheers,
     --MarkM