[Maybe Spam] Re: Swiki vandalized

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Wed Jan 26 11:19:27 UTC 2005

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:45:21 -0000, Frank Shearar
<Frank.Shearar at rnid.org.uk> wrote:
> These bot-driven defacements are EASY to fix(*).

If they're really bot-driven, they're even easier to prevent, I think. Add
a gif-with-numbers (should be easy enough to create a Squeak snippet to
generate that) for human-presence confirmation on edits, and add
'rel="nofollow"' to all the links and prominently display that fact on the
edit page (actually, I have mixed feelings about that latter bit as well).

> Don't lock down the Swiki just for these. Yes, it's annoying. It's like
> someone throwing garbage on your lawn just after you've cleaned it. But
> I don't think that the price is worth what little we get from it.

Would you feel a Terminus-based solution, where only Apprentice+ people on
SqP could add links, to be too high a price? Not that I'm in any position
to add Terminus to minnow, just feeling around for the general sentiment
on this.

> Having said that, MediaWiki have a very nifty feature where admins can
> ban IPs or even IP ranges for limited periods of time. (I don't know
> what the upper limit is: the field is a text field, so presumably you
> could even specify "10 years".)

Problem is, most of these seem to come from dynamic IP address ranges (I
have a lot of trouble with bots on www.cdegroot.com wiki's, so I'm a bit
experienced, alas). So by the time you discover this and add the IP these
guys probably already are working from another one.