Why I asked (was: How might I set the cursorpoint? )

Peace Jerome peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 22:24:10 UTC 2005

Tim wrote:

>Prim 91 is actually test  display depth... we don't
do setting of the cursor position.

That's interesting.

I’m just trying to learn the stuff by reading the
code.

What's there was:

primCursorLocPut: aPoint
	"If the primitive fails, try again with a rounded
point."

<primitive: 91>
	^ self primCursorLocPutAgain: aPoint rounded

>It'sa pretty bad bit of UI generally to take the
users
>'attention' and drag it somewhere else by force.

I pretty much agree with you. To see what I was trying
to do. Get a rectangle ask for the bitmap fill style
and then ask (via red menu) to reset the origin (or
orientation). The cursor is where the menu item was
selected which is usually nowhere near the original
origin. So the UI is that the picture changes
dramatically to jump the origin to where the cursor
now is. It is not to bad for just the origin but the
orientation stuff is rather jarring. So I thought that
something that leaves them where they are until you
move the cursor would be more pleasant. I’ve been
experimenting with different things that might do that
and following up my curiosity.\

I’ve found many a piece of code in squeak that
indicated someone intended for a particular function
to work.

I’ve found a curiosity about why it doesn’t and what
would make it do so a good learning probe.

And while I’m on the subject of curiosity who are the
we of

> ... we don't do setting of the cursor position.

Who makes the communities standards? What are they?
And how do newbies find out about them?

Thanks for starting a lively conversation on this.

With curiosity,  --Jerome Peace