[Maybe Spam] Re: Swiki vandalized

Frank Shearar Frank.Shearar at rnid.org.uk
Thu Jan 27 11:16:26 UTC 2005

John Pfersich <jp1660 at att.net> wrote:

> But I think  most of  the really annoying damage is done by
> juveniles.  Is there a way to  make only  Apprentices and up able to
> lock the pages? That's the biggest pain to me.

Oh gosh, I forgot all about that one! Yes, I wholeheartedly agree - we cannot allow J Random to lock vandalised pages and prevent the WikiGnomes from repairing the damage.

(You can add the people who deface pages with "The admin of this server knows nothing about security! I hacked their server! Look at this page for proof! Love me!")

As a general principle, I think people with higher reputations should be able to (easily) undo changes made by people with lower reputations - if a Journeyer locks a page, Journeyers and Masters should be able to unlock the page, for instance. And then one's reputation becomes a permissions token, rendering largely passwords unnecessary.

Of course, passwords do allow a nice way of distributing a right. Possibly some rights should use passwords to authenticate requests. I can't think of any off-hand, but there might actions that require passwords.

Oh, that actually makes me wonder about something else. One might be only an Apprentice in the community (a new Squeaker, in other words) but a keen WikiGnome. We might want this new Gnome to have major rights as part of his (proven) wiki maintaining, while limiting his rights to, for instance, push changesets to the update stream (because he hasn't learned the Squeak idioms, for instance).

frank

whom they are addressed. Any views or opinions expressed
are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
RNID policy.
If you are not the intended recipient you are advised that any
use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this
email is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this email in error please notify the RNID
Helpdesk by telephone on: +44 (0) 207 296 8282.
The Royal National Institute for Deaf People
Registered Office 19*23 Featherstone Street
London EC1Y 8SL No. 454169 (England)
Registered Charity No. 207720