Let us face reality

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Thu Jan 27 23:05:33 UTC 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:52:08 +0100, Alexander Lazarević
<Alexander at lazarevic.de> wrote:

> After answering at least the first question a working group might answer
> the remaining questions and then start building a test site. If this
> turns out to be something substantial better than what's now on
> squeak.org I can't imagine it will be a big problem to redirect that
> address then.

No, that is not how the dynamics of volunteer work operate. I, for once,
are *not* going to spend any time into a project of respectable size (new
squeak.org) if it is not absolutely sure that the results of my efforts
are used. And I'm quite sure that 99% thinks the same. Furthermore, it
smells like Big Design Up Front...

However, if you have the site on a community-controlled server, then we
can start scratching small itches. Write a new front page, put in on
test.squeak.org (whatever), and if it's ok, put it on-line. Write a Squeak
community how-to, test it, make it live. And so on. In this way, you
slowly grow squeak.org into something better - a continuous process, that
never stops.

Furthermore, there is no need to make a technology decision. Apache's
proxying enables us to hide lots of different servers behind one
homogeneous URL space. So we could integrate a Swiki, some Seaside code,
some HttpView code, etcetera.