Why I asked (was: How might I set the cursorpoint? )

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Jan 27 23:44:18 UTC 2005

Bert Freudenberg <bert at impara.de> wrote:

> Anyway, here's what we actually needed: raw mouse delta events, that
> is, a relative movement of the mouse that should not move the pointer
> (we hide it anyway) and which is not restricted by the screen extent.
> This is necessary for 3D navigation where a horizontal mouse movement
> should result in a 360 degrees or more turn.
I'm puzzled why there's a problem. I assume that the user drags across
the desktop (physical that is), picks up the mouse and drags some
more... ah, now if the OS imposes some restriction on the range of
values available there would be a point where it just butts up against
the 'edge' or does something else annoying. And in fact Squeak imposes
a  16bit value limit if you use the old primitive mouse point call and
it looks like the win32 vm has a 16bit limit in the event stuff.

Interesting problem :-)

tim
Any program that runs right is obsolete.