[Maybe Spam] Re: Swiki vandalized

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Jan 28 01:20:14 UTC 2005

"Frank Shearar" <Frank.Shearar at rnid.org.uk> wrote:
> That doesn't follow. Say you're very skilled with proofreading and editing, with only a cursory knowledge of Smalltalk. Thus, you're eminently qualified to WikiGnome, but don't have a grasp of the community coding standards, and thus shouldn't (yet) be allowed to push changesets to the update stream.
>
> _I_ sure as heck am not conversant enough with Squeak to try push changesets to the update stream (in general) even if I could.

In fact, quite a lot of the intended usage of the wiki is for complete
novices who would have a low SqueakPeople ranking.  For example:

	1. Newbie pages are, duh, for newbies.

	2. When someone asks a question, we often ask that they go summarize
their answer on the wiki.  Again, these people are often newbies.

So, I dislike basing editing privilage on your programming prowess.

Other dislikes:

There are a lot of schemes that are tempting due to security by
obscurity -- for example, requiring that people have registered on
SqueakPeople is already going to shut down gazillions of bots that just
won't bother -- but security by obscurity bugs me.  Additionally, there
are a lot of schemes that stop stupid bots, e.g. requiring someone to
decode a GIF, but those bug me even worse because they just seem to
breed ever better bots.

I have a proposal in the next message.

-Lex