Let us face reality

Alexander Lazarević Alexander at lazarevic.de
Fri Jan 28 13:00:13 UTC 2005

Cees de Groot schrieb:
> No, that is not how the dynamics of volunteer work operate. I, for
> once,  are *not* going to spend any time into a project of respectable
> size (new  squeak.org) if it is not absolutely sure that the results of
> my efforts  are used.

I can't think of a community driven project where every member gets the
assurance, that his work will be included without any question. We don't
include every crummy bit into the squeak image, do we? We even don't
always inlcude good work, because of other concerns. Why should it be
different with the web content of squeak.org?

You talk about a "project of respectable size". So what do you plan or
envision for squeak.org? You haven't said anything about that. And it
shouldn't be hard to write this down if the current squeak.org is that bad.

> And I'm quite sure that 99% thinks the same.

I'm pretty sure this statement is false in 99% of cases regardless of
the context.

> Furthermore, it  smells like Big Design Up Front...

No, this is just plain old "first things first".

> However, if you have the site on a community-controlled server, then we
> can start scratching small itches.

"Community-controlled server" sounds pretty neat. But what does that
mean? Would it be controlled by you and some people of your choosing? Or
would anyone from this list have direct access to the server? Or based
on the static social ranking on squeakpeople? Or..?
I'm pretty sure small itches could be scratched already on squeak.org
whith the appropriate determination.

> Write a new front page, put in on test.squeak.org (whatever), and if
> it's ok, put it on-line.

So if "it's not ok" my work won't be included? So I can't be "absolutely
sure that the results of my efforts are used"? Who is gonna decide "if
it's ok" or not?

> Write a Squeak  community how-to, test it, make it live. And so on. In this way,
> you  slowly grow squeak.org into something better - a continuous
> process, that  never stops.

Or never starts. Why don't we talk again about redirecting squeak.org
when somebody actually offeres some enhanced content for it? No need to
use HTML or the like. Just plain text would work as a starter.

> Furthermore, there is no need to make a technology decision.

Technology is the least of my concerns here.

Alex