Non-debuggerable situation

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Jan 29 16:07:42 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 11:01:26AM -0800, Chris Muller wrote:
> While testing proxy classes that inherit from ProtoObject, I frequently get
> myself into a bad situation where Squeak is trying to open a debugger, but
> apparently encountering an error while trying to open it.  It then tries to
> open a debugger on *that* but has the same problem.
>
> Of course, the image won't last long at this point as the many thousands of
> suspended processes ready to be debugged quickly chew up memory.
>
> It's easy to reproduce:
>
>   ProtoObject basicNew  "print it"
>
> Does anyone know how this can be made debuggable with the debugger (e.g.
> "debuggerable" :) )?

Well, that's odd. I tried "ProtoObject basicNew" in a 3.6 image and a
3.7 image, and the debuggers opened fine. In a 3.8 and 3.9 image, I get
absolutely nothing, no debugger, no printIn output, nothing. This seems
strange.

On the other hand, I do have a well-worn 3.7 image that intermittently
hangs up with symptoms similar to what you are describing here, see
attached png. I have not figured out a way to unbugger this image, and
I wonder if it might be related to what you are describing here.

I'm using a Unix VM in case that matters.

Dave