Squeak is an unsuccessful open source project (was RE: Let usface reality)

Yar Hwee Boon hboon at motionobj.com
Sun Jan 30 17:33:22 UTC 2005

On 31-Jan-05, at AM 01:20, Peter Crowther wrote:

> This is actually a third problem with Squeak as an OS project... It's
> too big, and does too many things, none well enough to be
> best-of-breed.
> So there's always a better tool to use for any particular problem.  Who
> would rally round the new, slimmer image?  Certainly not the
> Croquet/Teatime crowd.  Not the UI folks.  It wouldn't do multimedia...
> Really, it's a bit difficult to know who would take it and use it.

I would, as a web application developer using Seaside. Assuming that
most people only uses and knows one area (out of web application
frameworks, multimedia, etc), would it not be good if we have a slim
image that includes only the bare essentials? That would reduce any
unnecessary dependencies and also allow each group of people to focus
on/test their part more easily. And hopefully for each group of people,
a fatter image/distribution will be adopted, with the slim image as the
base. Someone mentioned the reverse of majorShrink (sorry, forgot the
name and the person's name), I thought that sounds good.

--
HweeBoon
MotionObj