Squeak is an unsuccessful open source project (was RE: Let usface reality)

Brent Pinkney brent.pinkney at aircom.co.za
Sun Jan 30 19:53:23 UTC 2005

Hi,

We are all still here so we can't be that bad.

IMHO we do not need to add more/less to the image or langauge.

Perhaps we should just complete the things we have done. By way of
example...

1. There are 3 HttpClient implementations, which is fully HTPP1.1
compliant.
2. Comanche is not HTTP1.1 compliant.
3. There are multiple Socket implementation in various states of
completion.

Pretty important for a community which, in this thread at least, has
emphasised, the importance of networking.

4. The old compiler does not have closures.
5. The new closure compiler is slow (see Andreas Raab's comments) and does
not decompile blocks.

Pretty important stuff.

6. Do all the test in the 3.8gamma image work, did they ever ?

$0.02

Brent