Bidirectional text support?

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon Jan 31 00:22:42 UTC 2005

"Boris Gaertner" <Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net> wrote:

> I fear that support for arabic presentation forms will further slow
> down the performance of text display routines, which is of
> course not desireable.

It certainly need not affect performance of 'ordinary' text if the code
is written properly. Paragrpah/Editor/etc have no need of paying any
attention whatsoever to bidirectional languages - nor indeed to
embedded shapes or any other oddities. >IF< you have a case where an
embedded shape or variant display rules is needed then a suitable
alternate class (maybe a subclass, maybe not) should be swapped in and
then you are explicitly accepting the performance cost.

The potential performance improvement possible can be estimated by
looking at how fast text display can be in MVC.

tim
Useful random insult:- When a thought crosses her mind, it's a long and
lonely journey.