Squeak is an unsuccessful open source project (was RE: Let us facereality)

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Mon Jan 31 01:04:30 UTC 2005

I've been following this conversation with interest--I don't know that I
consider it gloomy, since Squeak continues to progress and is being used
for interesting things--and I wonder how much of the problem stem from the
design philosophy of "everything available all the time to everyone".

But I'm more interested in the question of: What would it take to bring
all these disparate functional projects (spoon, traits, etc.) into a
Squeak (or a not-Squeak, if necessary) that could form a solid core? In
the martial arts, flexibility is a friend to stability, not a foe. :-)
Wouldn't traits provide all the flexibility needed while improving
stability?

I've been having fun with Squeak, but I've just been dipping my toe in.
The waters look murky and turbulent.