www.squeak.org finally updated

Martin Wirblat sql.mawi at t-link.de
Sat Jul 2 11:09:36 UTC 2005

stéphane ducasse wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> I'm wondering why we are still pointing to this crappy web site and  not
> the new one?
> http://www.squeak.org:7777/
>
> Stef

The old site is not "crappy" and the new site is still inferior compared
to the old one. If anything is "crappy" it is the home page of the new
site.

To repeat it to your deaf ears: This home page is a doorway page. It has
almost no text but mainly links to other sites. From a search engine
perspective such a change from the old to the new page indicates that
someone wants to prop up the page ranking of the linked sites.....

But the opposite will happen, Google's internal page ranking of such a
page will drop severely and the linked sites will not benefit,
especially if they link back.

The visitors perspective looks similar, a visitor of squeak.org wants to
be informed about Squeak and not be sent away.

Regarding the style I have to say that I like the old site much more. It
has an idiosyncratic charm, the new site looks like thousands of other
sites. Even the font and font size of old "crappy" squeak.org is more
inviting for a further read.

Martin