Squeak's "general acceptance"

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Sun Jul 3 06:13:02 UTC 2005

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 22:09:19 -0700, Yar Hwee Boon <hboon at motionobj.com>
wrote:

> Ahh.. A high bar - Delphi VCL controls. They probably have the best
> (functioning,) looking widgets :)

Yep. Leave it to Microsoft to turn around and say, "Time to start all over
and do everything with these NEW APIs."

> Are you referring to Squeak (Morphic, etc?) or Seaside?

Both. Morphic as the current graphical system, Tweak as the coming one,
and Seaside as the web-based stuff. I'm optimistic about Tweak and Seaside
but it's not there yet.

> One factor might be that ExpressQuantumGrid is a commercial product and
> Delphi has a very strong group of developers selling controls. Will
> Seaside developers sustain such a group be it free or commercial?

Precisely. I doubt it. There's no money in it and part of the Squeak
philosophy is for everything to be open and available all the time. I'm a
big fan of open source, but as a user, I often don't want the source, and
as a programmer I often don't want to give source away.

> Anyway someone is working on such a collection for Seaside.
> Contributions can be more easily made once the basics are there.

That'll be good.