Squeak's "general acceptance"

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Sun Jul 3 10:31:06 UTC 2005

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 02:48:34 -0700, Michael van der Gulik
<squeakml at gulik.co.nz> wrote:

> Ironically, I started on such a project last weekend. I call it
> "tables", but currently its unusable. BobsUI used to be something
> similar.

Yeah, there seem to be many abortive attempts at it.

> Squeak has loads of potential and can eventually be much more powerful
> than what Delphi can do. Imagine:

I think a pure OO implementation has potential for sure, but:

> - take an existing business system, made using Squeak tables.
> - Take any page, which has a Grid, some buttons etc on it.
> - Pop up a halo and move that button to where you really wanted it... at
> runtime!

I'm not particularly enamored of this idea that runtime and designtime are
the same thing. A lot of Squeak's problems stem from this (as well as many
of its solutions, in fairness).

I could do all the things you list in Delphi, with the exception of giving
the user the ability to code at the same level I'm coding. Sometimes
that's the most workable approach. I don't, by this, mean that I subscribe
to the notion of a hierarchical organization as has emerged in the
programming world, or even approve of it.

> So yea. I aspire to one day do a demonstration where I build a fully
> functional business system to the requirements of a volunteer /during/
> the 1-hour demonstration. Now that would be cool.

No doubt. Have you looked into Tweak? You might be able to, uh,
synergize....