www.squeak.org finally updated

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Jul 4 17:00:30 UTC 2005

>> I agree with you in general, but I don't think that (b) isn't
>> fixable  - or at least, I would claim that it currently needs
>> fixing.  Look at  the very first sentence on the current
>> squeak.org: "With the Squeak  programming system, we have made
>> some delightful and powerful  educational applets. "  For someone
>> coming to Squeak looking to use  it for business, that will be the
>> first sentence and quite possibly  the last they read - not
>> because there's anything wrong with  educational applets (there's
>> everything right with them, in fact),  but because that person
>> will assume that this tool is not aimed at  them and go elsewhere.
>
> I agree. And please understand me correctly - I am not saying that
> Squeak.org doesn't need updating. I'm saying the contrary, I'm
> saying we need up-to-date, compelling content for the new site. But
> I'm also saying that the content that's up on the new site *right
> now* is not as good as what's up on Squeak.org *right now*. And the
> discussion about how "ugly", "crappy" or outright "bad" the current
> website is seems to be exclusively focused on the "childish look"
> rather than anything that's content related.

No, I was not commenting on the look exclusively.
The contents is desynchronised with Squeak.
I agree with avi. The problem is that we are all extremely busy so a
wiki is the way because we can edit
it and at least making sure that it does not dead.

>> For the other half:

>>> Only once we start ignoring the contents for the looks of the site.
>>>
>> The contents have been ignored, apparently, for about 5 years:
>> the  "Where is Squeak Headed" section claims to be "coming soon"
>> and  offers "Entering 2000" as the latest material.  Anyone would
>> think  that Squeak has been stagnant or abandoned since the days
>> of  superbowl ads for online petfood... we need to fix this if
>> we're  going to have any credibility.
>
> Precisely! *That* is the stuff we need to be looking at and argue
> about.

Exactly! So this is why please go an udpate the new one.
I still think that it would be good to have
     - squeak4fun
     - squeak4edu
     - squeak4business

because the punch lines and the contents could be at the right level
and much easier to write.

Stef