Squeak's "general acceptance"

Blake McBride blake at integra-online.com
Tue Jul 5 16:37:52 UTC 2005

At 06:11 AM 7/5/2005, you wrote:

>On Jul 5, 2005, at 12:39 PM, Blake wrote:
>>
>>In just about any professional desktop development tool today, the
>>process of displaying DB data in form or grid format is nigh
>>automatic.  I can do it without a line of code, and I can do it
>>even if I've never seen the tool in my life.

>At any rate, you're certainly right that Squeak is not a
>"professional desktop development tool".  If you're looking for one
>of those (and, I gather, on the Windows platform), try Dolphin.
>
>Avi

I too strongly agree with (the other) Blake.  My company settled on using
Scheme instead of Squeak for these reasons plus one other.  Squeak
is non-reentrent making it almost useless as an extension language.

It's real cute that you can do all kinds of neat stuff with Squeak.  The
problem
is that most people want to manipulate data.  It's fun to play with at home
but its hard to make real use of it if you can't use it at work.  IMO, what
would make Squeak a hell of a lot more useful would be:

1.  Make dialogs easy to develop and use
2.  Out-of-the-box and clean ODBC support
3.  Make the VM re-entrent
4.  Make it simple, lots of progressively complex examples

Squeak has become way too complex to use.  Yea, its easy creating
a new class or instantiating a collection class but just try to write a
simple phone book application.  I'd find it hard to find a more difficult
and complex and undocumented environment.

Please don't get me wrong.  I really like Smalltalk and deeply appreciate
what the developers of Squeak have done.  Try as I might, I can't seem
to figure out Squeak and make use of it.  It has just become so complex.
I own the available books and they haven't been too much help - they
again basically ignore business applications (dialogs and data).   I'd live
to see these issues resolved.

Just one opinion.

--blake (the other one)