BytecodeGenerator

Benjamin Pollack benjamin.pollack at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 17:32:13 UTC 2005

On 7/5/05, Chris Muller <chris at funkyobjects.org> wrote:

> > I was toying around with various OODBMSes in Squeak today and noticed
> > that BytecodeGenerator is no longer in Squeak 3.8. Is there a reason
> > why it was removed, or was that an oversight? It breaks WriteBarrier,
> > which in turns slows down GOODS and breaks the development versions of
> > Magma.
>
> Hi Benjamin, can you tell me how it breaks Magma? WriteBarrier should work
> just fine with Magma as long as you don't change class definitions while
> connected to a repository. Regrettably, objects behind a WriteBarrier
> cannot
> handle a class-schema upgrade under certain conditions, but this has
> nothing to
> do with Magma..

Magma is not broken. I thought from 30 minutes of testing that Magma
depended on WriteBarrier to operate, since I noticed it pulled in a copy
when I was grabbing it from the repository, and as I noted, WriteBarrier
does not work out-of-the-box on 3.8. If Magma can run without WriteBarrier,
then just ignore me. Magma itself at any rate seems to work great, although
I wish there were more documentation. :-)

--Benjamin