Squeak's "general acceptance"

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Wed Jul 6 01:55:01 UTC 2005

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 16:19:41 -0700, Avi Bryant <avi.bryant at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Teaching kids and experimenting - yes, Squeak's great for that.

So, we agree. Although, not so great at experimenting if you need to work
with others' data.

> It's also great, IMNSHO, for doing professional web development - there
> are a few of us around whose companies are built around exactly that.

Using Seaside, you mean? I wonder how many of those few were new to Squeak
when they decided to do that.

> And I  suspect that, given a little time, it will also be great for
> doing professional desktop development - Rob's wxSqueak work is moving
> steadily in that direction.

Sure. And I think wxWidgets has some sort of grid control so, it may be
that gluing the grid to some database connectivity is not far off. And it
may come to be doable in Tweak, too.

> But personally, I don't think Squeak (or Smalltalk) ever will be
> "generally accepted" in the kind of sense you mean, and, yes, I'm fine
> with that.

You've moved the target and started to sound defensive to boot. All I said
was that, in my work, the ability to easy create an interface that hooks
to a DBMS is considered basic. Not surprisingly, there was some agreement
on that from others.

I don't care if Squeak is "generally accepted" in the kind of sense you
impute to me, either. I do find it odd, though, to be disdainful of
acquiring a larger audience and particularly to turn one's nose up at the
suggestion of improvements to interoperability.