[ANN] Monticello Package Browser v 0.5

Alexandre Bergel bergel at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Jul 9 09:18:43 UTC 2005

Hello,
I finally found some time to work on the package browser.
Screenshots and download are available on http://smallwiki.unibe.ch/monticellopackagebrowser/

Here is a small report for this version:

What is new in this version:
---------------------------

-A comment can be assigned to a package (of course, they are saved and retrieved), however the GUI is not well supported.
-Running test unit classes (it is not related to packages, but this is quite useful).

Tentative Roadmap:
-----------------

0.6 - GUI Prerequisite support for prerequisite packages
0.7 - Optimizations (Omnibrowser is a a bit slow, I need to dive into it)
0.8 - Support for package refactorings (fusion of two packages, fading a package into the system, divide a package into smaller pieces, ...)
0.9 - Binary support for packages.
1.0 - Squeak 4.0

Purpose of the project:
-----------------------

Having one self contain package related tool
-Packages are First class Entities, it make simpler operations such as renaming, refactoring (fusion of two packages), analysis, ...
-Package related Information like class extension are quickly rendered. You can browse extension of the Package without waiting for dozen of seconds. Just to browse extension of the System package, about 40 seconds on my computer to find out that System extends Object, Behavior and ClassDescription with 5 methods. With the MonticelloPackageBrowser, it is instantaneous.
-Packages are commented
-Compatible with the PackageInfo naming convention (*mypackage-), therefore your project will be still loadable in a old image.
-People who does not care about modules at all (e.g., if they prefer ChangeSets) will not notice any difference.
-Load, save, repository management, get package information (e.g., class extensions) from within a single tool.

Any feedback appreciated...

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~bergel