accessibility, not grids

John H Woods gmane at jhwoods.com
Tue Jul 12 11:01:47 UTC 2005

IMHO, the problem with 'grids' is very often the simply the problem with
spreadsheets such as Excel.  Several problems go away if you approach grids
with a pure approach, such as arbitrary addressing, copypaste programming, and
restrictions to two dimensions.

Lotus tried to solve this problem with Improv about 10 years ago, but it was too
radical for business users, who buy then had done a VHS/Betamax thing and got
entrenched in the A1/B1 spreadsheet model.  One or two products still exist
which espouse the pure model --- check out www.quantrix.com.

The relationship between tables, trees and graphs has been a great source of
interest to me for over a decade, and I would be ecstatic to work with people
interested in developing a tool which allowed each of the perspectives to be
displayed.

My current view is that the columns and rows of matrices can usually be grouped
into meaningful trees, and that the matrix elements represent the interactions
between one tree and another.

If this doesn't make any sense, try the free trial download from Quantrix, and
lets talk some more about it.

...John