memory and VM issues

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Thu Jul 14 22:09:20 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 03:06:57PM -0500, Lex Spoon wrote:
> Ross Boylan <RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org> wrote:
> > Unfortunately, when I try running with either 100m or 300m fixed size,
> > I get an error.  Since I'm constraining it to less memory than it
> > "wants" to use (though more than I think it should need), this
> > probably isn't a bug.  Perhaps it's a clue?  Here's the error:
>
> It sounds like you need to be careful how you write the command line.
> On Debian, something like this should work:
>
> 	squeak -memory 100m      "to use squeak.image"
>
> 	squeak -image foo  -memory 100m    "to use foo.image
>
> Otherwise, it can end up treating the "-memory 100m" part as arguments
> to be passed into the image instead of arguments to the VM itself.
>
> -Lex
Good catch.  This works:
/usr/bin/squeak  -memory 100m -image /ms/d/xfer/squeak/Squeak3.2.image
and this didn't
/usr/bin/squeak  -memory 100m /ms/d/xfer/squeak/Squeak3.2.image
(both are actually arguments to artsdsp).

So now I'll see if this cures my original problem.

I know that room for expansion is often allocated, but it seems a bit
much that my image had a size of 1000m before this....

Ross