memory and VM issues

Tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Jul 15 00:52:14 UTC 2005

The '2gb' problem is where the address space allocated to squeak's
object memory goes over 2gb - ie the point where signed/unsigned
becomes critical. Lots of the code in the VM was written without any
thought for this issue; it was after all written a long time ago when
16Mb was a big machine.

The latest code is much better though probably not totally immune. The
problem can appear to be random, dpending somewhat upon the memory
allocation stratgey of the OS (version) you are running. On my machine
it can depend on what applications have run before I start Squeak,
since that affects where available memory will be.

tim
--
Tim Rowledge, tim at rowledge.org, http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Death is a nonmaskable interrupt.