memory and VM issues

Tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Jul 15 15:14:02 UTC 2005

Alan Grimes <alangrimes at starpower.net> wrote:

> Ideally, this would be done with FFI so that the interface class can
be
> maintained by compiling updated C header files into Smalltalk.
We did a C header parser at PPS for the DLLCC product. It took two very
smart engineers a couple of years. It absorbed an unpleasant amount of
engineering maintenance time thereafter. It was big, and complicated
and best of all... customers complained that adding a single line to
the interface class definition (something like foo subclass:
WindDLLInterface ...... include: 'library\windows.h) was too much work
and they'd rather manually type in each method for each macro and
define and so on.

Feel free to roll your own version but _I_ ain't gonna do anything for
it.

> The VM
> code would not have to be touched -- ever. (Well, nobody does so
anyway
> for reasons I mentioned earlier...)
Oh crap. Stop insulting the work of a small, dedicated, busy and mostly
unrewarded gang of VM makers. We do what we can, as well as we can,
when we can. If you don't like it, spend as much time as we have
learning about this stuff and then get on with contributing something
useful.

tim
--
Tim Rowledge, tim at rowledge.org, http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Useful random insult:- His spirit guide is a three-toed sloth.