memory and VM issues

Alan Grimes alangrimes at starpower.net
Sat Jul 16 00:18:27 UTC 2005

Josh Gargus wrote:

> On Jul 15, 2005, at 3:10 PM, Alan Grimes wrote:

> > Re:Closed Source drivers.

>> Just Say No(tm).
>

> Why, exactly?

Your reasoning makes sense if you consider only the present. It is true
that my sale accounts for 1/100,000,000 sales...

But you need to keep your eye on the future.

In the next decade, computer technology will permiate everything you
own. Without the ability to write your own software, all of your
posessions will actually be owned and controlled by whomever controlls
the code. (NewLine and Microsoft and whomever has power over such things..)

A decade after that things will be worse.

If you are a transhumanist, like I am, closed source drivers will be
utterly intolerable.
There are many schools of transhumanism, not all of which I agree with,
but the basic premice is to enhance the human body and mind with
technological augmentation.

My philosophy is to draw the line and hold it. At all costs, and at
every opportunity.

> There would be no Croquet project if we followed this  advice.  Such a
> policy of abstinence will not change the world; your impact on the
> market will not be any  greater than if you simply join the billions
> on the planet who don't have access to computers.

=(
I am painfully aware of that.
I bought 4 AMD CPUs in the last few years to, in part, help support
competition in the PC industry... Now AMD's on the ropes and Intel is
hitting below the belt and not letting up..

AMD bet the farm on Opteron and if Intel hadn't bribed all of the OEMs
they would have won...

> IMHO, it's best not to restrict yourself, and instead take advantage
> of what is currently available if you want to change the status quo.

Come again? How does that help change the status quo?