pending mac os-x carbon 3.8.8b5

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sat Jul 16 15:13:13 UTC 2005

I pushed out the source code for the mac spelling plugin and mac
services interface into the mac source tree via SVN.

I have also pushed out a 3.8.8b5 source which includes a radical
change to how the screen is flushed because of changes in os-x 10.4

Under os-x 10.4 carbon applications are throttled to 50 screen
updates per second. Since 3.8.6b2 we flushed the screen 91 times per
second
to make drawing faster and more similar to os-9. However under os-x
this is too frequent and if the Morphic cache/draw cycle gets out of
sync which
happens occasionally during debugging you get this odd effect where
the screen redraw takes a minute or two to complete.

Also I discovered that I was only flushing the active window, if you
had multiple host windows or had put the squeak window in the
background it was
possible to lose the last window flush and have the squeak window not
reflect the squeak screen buffer.

This change then flushs each host window every 1/50 of a second.

I will need someone with a dual CPU G5 to confirm the semaphore waits
between drawing and screen flushing is correct and will not cause a
lockup.

Although the source code goes out this morning I won't publish a VM
until later today.
===