memory and VM issues

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Jul 21 06:30:46 UTC 2005

On 20-Jul-05, at 5:27 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> I'm looking at taking the Squeak3.8-6665-basic.zip from the ftp
> site, loading in the latest published VMMaker  via squeakmap and
> applying the GCInstrumentJMMImprovementsAR.1.cs  and JMMGCMonitor.
> 4.cs from ftp.smalltalkconsulting.com/squeakGarbage/
> and grabbing the 1100 source tree. Then seeing if I can make it all
> work. So hang on a moment

Ok, I did the following
a) Use SVN and get the source tree upto revision 1100
b) Grab  Squeak3.8-6665-basic.zip  from ftp.squeak.org
c) Unpacked started up and invoked Squeakmap
d) load Balloon3D
e) load VMMaker 3.8b3, then apply these vmmaker fixes:
f) MessageNode>>asTranslatorNode

     sel _ (selector isMemberOf: Symbol) ifTrue: [selector] ifFalse:
[selector key].

     sel _ (selector isSymbol) ifTrue: [selector] ifFalse: [selector
key].

g) MiscPrimitivePlugin>> translatedPrimitives  Should read:
     "an assorted list of various primitives"
     ^#(
         (Bitmap compress:toByteArray:)
         (Bitmap decompress:fromByteArray:at:)
         (Bitmap encodeBytesOf:in:at:)
         (Bitmap encodeInt:in:at:)
         (ByteString compare:with:collated:)
         (ByteString translate:from:to:table:)
         (ByteString findFirstInString:inSet:startingAt:)
         (ByteString indexOfAscii:inString:startingAt:)
         (ByteString findSubstring:in:startingAt:matchTable:)
         (ByteArray hashBytes:startingWith:)
         (SampledSound convert8bitSignedFrom:to16Bit:)
     )

h) If you want to instrument the VM for GC statistics,
     you can load GCInstrumentJMMImprovementsAR.1.cs and JMMGCMonitor.
4.cs from ftp.smalltalkconsulting.com

i) Open VMMaker and build the VM with plugins you want.

Post building corrections for OS-X
gcc 3.3 should be used, not 4.0.
If you are using xcode you must set the target application C source
file rule to use GCC 3.3 versus the system default of 4.0x if you
have xcode 2.x installed.
Corrections:
MacMenubarPlugin.c has a trailing ';'  after the
"TARGET_API_MAC_CARBON " you need to delete the ';'.
     #if TARGET_API_MAC_CARBON;

===