Why do I have 6 instances of the "Object" class in my 3.8 image?

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Fri Jul 22 05:10:35 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Darius" <squeakuser at inglang.com>
To: <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2005 4:23 AM
Subject: Why do I have 6 instances of the "Object" class in my 3.8 image?

> Just curious.
>
> I seems to go against the principles of Smalltalk.
Not at all. You have one class Object, but you can create
any number of instances of this class.

Object is not an abstract class. Instances of Object are
infrequently used, but uses are possbile. The one property
that makes instance of Object useful is that an instance
of Object is different from any other object in your
image.

Class WeakSet assigns an instance of Object to instance variable
flag. That object, which is different from all other
objects in your image, is used to mark the free slots in the
WeakSet.

Greetings,
Boris