memory and VM issues

Tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Jul 23 18:51:11 UTC 2005

This is why mix'n'match is so painful...

Ross Boylan <RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org> wrote:

> Here's what I did and what happened:
>
> 1. base  Squeak3.8-6665 image.
Good.
> 2. open squeakmap
Don't bother
> 3. load Balloon3D (1.0.4)
Load from FileList if you have a local copy. much faster and saves
installing SM. Or just leave it out for now. Do you really need it?
> 4. load PackageInfo (apparently update from 16->18). It recommends
don't bother
> 5. save image (Back1).
> 6. edit JMMGCMonitor.4.cs and remove "Smalltalk
> recreateSpecialObjectsArray." at the bottom.
Argh! No! Don't go near that file.
> 7. Open Monticello and load VMMaker-tpr.37
Just load it from the FileList, which understand MC files quite
adequately.
> 8. ObjectMemory(class)>>initializeSpecialObjectIndices does not define
> FloatProto.
You shouldn't see any complaint about this if you just load the VMMaker
& B3D stuff. I don't when I do it on a new 6665 image.
> 9. save
> 10. file in GCInstrumentJMMImprovementsAR.1.cs
> Warning: LongSizeMask is still used in code of class ObjectMemory.
> Is it oaky to move it to Undeclare? (yes)
> same for Byte4Shift, ByteMask(I think), Byte6Mask, Byte3Shift,
> Byte5Mask, Byte1ShiftNegated, Size4Bit, WordMask,
> ProcessSignalingLowSpace, Byte2Shift, Byte4ShiftNegated, and many
more.
No, don't load this either. That stuff is already in VMMaker.37,
properly merged. Mix'n'match pain again.

Don't load this, don't load any of the unix/misc 64bit stuff, nothing.
It is all in VMMaker.37 if it is actually needed.

> 11. save.
> 12. file in JMMGCMonitor.4.cs
I doubt it. AIUI that is the image code now in the file I previously
sent 'VMM38-gc-instrument-image.1.cs - is this correct John? This code
is the methods that make use of the new GC monitoring primitives.

> 13. save.  Yea! No crash.
> 14. open VMMaker.  Oops, during opening, in
> UnixVMMaker(VMMaker)>>initialize, Smalltalk wordsize is not
> understood.
That's because you need to load the other file I sent, VMM38-64bit-
imageUpdates.1.cs first. It is methods that need to go into the main
update stream before it is practical to release the VMMaker.37
officially.

_Now_ you can open VMMaker.

On my machine this works perfectly, except for the B3D plugin which
hasn't been properly cleaned up for 64 bit clean yet. I'd recommend
leaving it out entirely for now.

tim
--
Tim Rowledge, tim at rowledge.org, http://www.rowledge.org/tim
A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good.