memory and VM issues

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Sun Jul 24 07:21:12 UTC 2005

Hooray!  I got it to build.  I haven't tried it yet because I need to
tweak the install.  Can the executables be run in place without install?

On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 09:46:32PM -0700, Tim Rowledge wrote:
> Ah, more mix'n'match pain I'm afraid.
>
> The VMMaker.37 expects the latest SVN source rather than the 1100
> revision.
I thought the current source wasn't in a buildable state.

> Ross Boylan <RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org> wrote:
> > Second, my "top" directory is not called platforms.  In a couple of
> > instances, the config script generated messages indicating it was
> > still looking there:
> > checking whether doubles are stored in Squeak order... no
> > ../official/unix/config/configure: line 21858: cd:
> /usr/local/src/squeak/platforms/unix: No such file or directory
> Unfortunately at some point a 'standard' has to be assumed for the sake
> of sanity. I imagine that the unix config can probably twist things
> suficiently that you could use any directory names and paths but why
> make life extra difficult?
I tried that (eventually), but unix/doc/HowToBuildFromSource says
If you are checking out from a repository, you can call the direcory
anything you like; for example:

  $ svn co http://squeak.hpl.hp.com/svn/squeak/trunk squeak

Oh, I see: I checked out one level down from that.

> Update the svn tree to the latest and try again. Isn't this fun?
>

> tim

Here are the steps, including a false start (just in case it affected
subsequent things).  It was a continuation of the procedures reported
earlier.  People looking for a recipe can skip steps 9-13
8. svn update to current version (1233)
9. rm -r bld
10. clean out src32 in VMMaker
11. generate entire
    (Or should I have redone the plugin creation list?  Any changes to
    that with the new source?  I checked after and their didn't seem
    to be.)
12. configure.  same errors as before.
13. make. disaster, as before.

OK, try again.

14. rm -r bld
15. mv official/ platforms # correct my idiosyncratic naming
16. cd bld; ../platforms/unix/config/configure --with-src=src32
    No errors!  Not sure if --with-src=32 is necessary with the
    new svn stuff.
17. make.
    No errors.
    But I need to reconfigure for proper install.