LookEnhancements enhancement

Adrian Lienhard adi at netstyle.ch
Tue Jul 26 15:16:18 UTC 2005

thx John, almost all of the buttons have the same style now, nice. (I
think I've only seen one exception, namely the search button in the
"message names" dialog).

Unfortunately the newer version cannot be loaded anymore in a 3.7
image because of the dependency on SystemProgressMorph which seems to
be new in 3.8. I don't know whether you can easily make that
backwards compatible or not. I think it's not that important but
would "nice to have".

Another thing that stroke me is peed... In 3.8 with the enhancement
everything seems to be a bit slower than before (the UI in Squeak
never was fast but I have the feeling it become slower with each new
release...).

To get some numbers (they should probably be treated with care..) I
evaluated "[ 10 timesRepeat: [ Browser openBrowser ] ] timeToRun" and
got:

3.7 without LookEnhancement:  9674
3.7 with LookEnhancement: 12060
3.8 with LookEnhancement: 15665
3.8 without LookEnhancement: 11138

Are there any possible improvements in the enhancement?

Cheers,
Adrian